If you are in a hurry and want to know which is the best hybrid bike under 500 we recommend to you the Diamondback Trace ST.
The resulting “hybrid” is a general-purpose bike that can tolerate a wide range of riding conditions and applications. Sometimes we are short of budget, but it doesn’t mean that we cannot find products with good features for a convenient price.
Here we will give you a shortlist of the best hybrid bikes under $500:
- Schwinn Siro 700cc
- Schwinn Discover Hybrid Bicycle
- Sixthreezero EVRYJOURNEY
- Diamondback Trace
- Vilano Diverse 3.0
Before than speak about our list, let’s be clear with something of affordable hybrid bikes under 500. Once you get a price too less than that, manufacturers have to start making deep compromises with components and frame quality. We recommend to all the riders to think carefully about their riding needs. It is simple, the cheaper the shifter, the rougher and less precise your gear shifting will be, and you’ll adjust your drivetrain more often. your pick should depend on how often you will use your hybrid bike and which routes you will transit.
Advantages of hybrid bikes
- Long and flat handlebars which allow the cyclist to sit in a relaxed cycling position.
- Gorgeous design and lighter compared to mountain bikes which means you will use less energy to travel.
- You can find them with frames made from different materials like aluminum, carbon, steel. It all depends on your needs.
- The tires give you the ability to easily roll over no matter the nature of the terrain that you are riding on.
- Good gearings making easies cover challenging terrains and go faster and further.
Things to consider
As we know the hybrid bikes are a fusion between road bikes, touring bikes and mountain bikes, which means that different features can change depending on the model. To make sure that your choice feeds your needs as an entry-level you should check at least the next features.
The handlebar on a entry-level hybrid bike is like on a mountain bike (wider 680 mm) which allows the rider a comfortable position. One good thing to know, the further the seat is below the bike’s handlebar the better, because it will enhance your comfort.
You should know that there are two standard wheel sizes for them: the 26″ and 700c wheels. 700c move better on the pavement and to make the movement easy even when driving through uphill.
As we mentioned before Hybrid bikes come in steel, carbon fiber, and aluminum frames. When you check, you can find that carbon is the best option, stronger than the steel and lighter than aluminum, but is more expensive too. If you look for lightweight aluminum can work good. By the other side, if you want something stronger steel would be great. We would recommend, have frames of lightweight 6061 Alloy are strong and durable for a good price
Hybrids have a wide range of gearing that let the rider both to climb hills and pick up speed on flats and downhill. If you are looking to go on a mountain climbing or uphill, then the more gears you have the better. Even the cheaper hybrid bikes you can find here have decent gears.
You’ve found the right saddle height if you are seated on the bike with the pedal at the lowest point and your knee has a 30-degree angle on it.
For your comfort there we let some info about the Bike Size and the Rider height.
- 13 – 15 inches = 4’11” – 5’3″
- 15 – 17 inches = 5’3″ – 5’7″
- 17 – 19 inches = 5’7″ – 5’11”
- 19 – 21 inches = 6’0″ – 6’2″
- 21 – 23 inches = 6’2″ – 6’4″
- 23+ inches = 6’4″ and more
lET’S SEE SOME BIKES
This Schwinn Siro 700cc is the perfect example of hybrid bikes that has a combination of affordable mtb status and the function of a road bike
It has qualities of a mountain bike, as the suspension fork in the frame and suspension comfort seat, making the bike comfortable to ride in light trails. Also, Thick tires to go through obstacles on and off the road extra speed for climbing (Shimano 21 speeds). Thanks to the adjustable handlebars the rider’s position is comfortable, more upright than a typical fitness bike. In the other side, Siro has high profile rims which make it the beginner mountain bike to use on the city streets.
Other cool facts of this hybrid bike are the adjustable stem in the form (allows more control over the angle and final height), front fork shock absorber and spring seat post which will absorb the shock on thought roads.
- The adjustable handlebar which helps you to choose your best riding position without needing tools.
- A strong brake system that ensures you have control at all times
- Two style options to choose between a step-over frame and a step-through frame.
- The adjustable stem is creaky in a strong situation.
Click here to check on Amazon
Schwinn is one of the oldest and most trusted names in bikes in America. Schwinn Discover Hybrid Bicycle is one of the best hybrid bikes because is truly made for comfort, perfect for a day at the beach, a trip through the park, or an easy daily commute.
It comes with an aluminum frame (made of 6061 Alloy) making the bike light enough (35.5 pounds). Furthermore, its 21-speed SRAM grip shifters, with a rear Shimano derailleur, is definitely a good feature. Other things, the saddle is comfortable and padded, and a suspension fork and a Schwinn alloy crank that assure you a quality time outdoors. It also integrates an adjustable stem alongside a back sweep handlebar to provide extra riding comfort.
For last, this model comes with fenders that keep the dirt off the rider. Also, extras like the bike rack and suspension seatpost make this hybrid bike more enjoyable for casual trips.
- The seat is softly padded for the rider’s comfort.
- The affordable price tag with good components like SRAM grip shifters.
- Front and back fender included.
- The bike can feel a little heavy to handling.
- Won’t perform well on medium-heavy off roads
Click here to check on Amazon
The EVRYJOURNEY is a 26-inch hybrid bike for men with seven speeds, boasting a sporty look and feel. Sixthreezero has sturdy construction to ensure it will ride as easily on dirt trails as it will on city streets.
This bike can carry any adult from 5’4” to 6’5” and the weight limit on this bike is 300 pounds. The bike also comes with a black matte frame made from aluminum, which makes it super lightweight for convenient handling and elegant. Maybe 7 speeds don’t look that much but still will perform good and comfortably thanks to the forward pedal geometry.
- It comes with black fenders and a rear rack, that matches well with the design of the black matte frame.
- Easy, comfortable and stable ride in, thanks to the foot-forward design.
- The wide whitewall semi-slick tires enhance riding stability.
- Poor customer service.
- By some customer experience, You may need to adjust the brakes after you’ve ridden the bike a few times
Click here to check on Amazon
The Diamondback Trace is a great example of bikes dual sports. is a popular bike among many recreational bikers thanks to its top-quality features.
The frame comes in 6061 aluminum alloy features a slightly curved top tube with oversized tubing. The fork name is Dual Sport Fork made of Hi-Ten Steel. It means it is quite strong and minimizes vibrations! The saddle is great, difference than other models of dual sports, diamondback take care of the comfort with the saddle.
With the 3×7 Shimano drivetrain (21 speeds) , you can cruise on a wide range of trails fairly light. It is also delivered with a DB SL-7 wheelset, (700c wheels). It means that you get better rolling power when going over obstacles, but also can go very well on pavement.
- It comes with a strong but lightweight frame.
- Great tires and other components making it very agile for a sport hybrid.
- Have Alloy linear pull brakes to the superior braking power.
- High-quality tires give you all the grip you need on any terrain, on and off the road.
- Some people think the handlebar should be higher.
- Some people think the saddle is a little uncomfortable. We think it’s ok, but whatever you can switch it easily.
Click here to check on Amazon
The Vilano diverse line is a really good one when we talk about hybrid bikes. This model Diverse 3.0 has amazing qualities and features that make us highlight it in this post.
It carries a 6061 aluminum frame, including the fork fitting 700CC tires. It can fit to riders between 5’7” and 6’4. ”With The Shimano EF 51 3/8 Speed shifter controls 24 gears and the disc brakes with the integrated brake shifter this bike delivers a smooth ride. Also, you can take full advantage and control on rough trails.
This bike comes with Kendra 700c x 35c tires, Kenda usually makes heavy tires, but on this one, they create a more road-friendly heavy-duty tire. the Weinmann 700c rims maintain reliability even in heavy braking because of the mechanical disc brakes take the pressure off the walls. By these features, we can trust in the brakes and rims even in rainy conditions.
- By some customer opinions, you can put a lot of miles on it without needing too much maintenance
- Mechanical disc brakes have great stopping power. Not commonly seen on low-cost models.
- The tires wear really well, and the gears are solid. That makes the bike handles well on rough roads.
- Handlebars are not adjustable on this bike.
- The pedal is low quality.
- Adjusting the gears can be tricky if you are new in it.
Click here to check on Amazon
Choose a hybrid bike can be a little more difficult than select other kinds of bikes. Since each can be better for a specific environment, is not that easy to compare the features, pros, and cons. Whatever here we will give to you what is the best option from our perspective.
The Diamondback Trace ST is gorgeous to look at. Attractive, fun to ride and perfect for riders looking for a bike designed to be speedy on the pavement around town and more than capable off-road.
Because of their high-quality components, this hybrid bike offers a smooth ride feeling and it assures your strength and durability. We have to clarify that this not a mountain bike, but still can go off-roads, maybe not the heavier trails, but we are pretty sure that can go through medium-hard paths without any problem.
Types of hybrid bikes
While a hybrid is essentially a combination of a mountain and road bike, it’s not that simple, we can still find different subcategories of hybrids. In other words, the name hybrid bike doesn’t mean that it’s designed to work as good on the pavement as it does in the mountains or vice versa. They can work in both situation, but some model performs better than others in a specific condition.
There are now four distinct labels for hybrid bikes that can help you understand how a bike performs in certain situations
Designed to be mainly on paved roads. On another side thanks to the robust frame and wider tires you can go also through light trails and grass. The frame of a performance hybrid is made to be more comfortable than a road bike.
This sub-category is quite popular for the riders of hybrid bikes since they work on and off the pavement. They are better on trails than on pavement but still work well in both. When you check this bike you can find that you have a lot of features more similar to a mountain bike, but a little lighter. They have beefy tires, hardtail frames for trail riding and responsive brakes.
Dual sport bikes are fun, comfortable and compelling to ride. We can consider this model as the more performance-balance on road and on trails for hybrid bikes. Most dual sports comes with a light and agile frame, allows a comfortable riding position and with wide riser bars
By the name, we think it is easy to understand this model. Design to be as comfortable as possible. Allows an upright seating position for more comfort by the padded seat, swept-back handlebars and frame geometry. But all pros come with cons, these hybrid bikes won’t perform that well on mountain trails.
As always, just shoot us a comment or email with any questions or hiccups. Happy to help move things along.